Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Bird Unit!

We started a bird unit about three and half weeks ago and it's still going strong! My daughter is completely captivated by them! We filled up a bird feeder that my mom had given us and hung it outside the dining room window and have watched a male and female cardinal eat there several times a day. It's been lots of fun! I am going to post our pics and some of the lesson plans that I made for this unit so I hope you enjoy them! I have had to wing it for the last two weeks and have found many wonderful sources online. Another favorite for studying birds has been http://www.enature.com/! I made 20 or so three part cards for her to study and memorize so that she would recognize birds in our area! She has loved these! I got the pics from enature.com and the descriptions as well!


Bible- Proverbs 27:8 and The Ravens feed Elijah
http://children.calvarychapel.com/site/curriculum.htm
http://www.mssscrafts.com/crafts/collages/fedbyravens.htm
She did a need collage using various materials to assemble the scene for the Bible story.

Geography- We love Mr. Nussbaum's stuff on birds! http://www.mrnussbaum.com/

Science- Burgess Book of Birds is a wonderful resource! We read about cardinals and started a cardinal lapbook page in our nature journals! We got these great lapbook printables at http://www.homeschoolshare.com/ and she colored one of the egg cards the color of a cardinal's egg. She wrote little facts on the other eggs.






Craft- Bagel Birdfeeders which consisted of a half a bagel, some peanutbutter and some bird seed, neatly displayed on a white ribbon!





Snack Time- People Feeders which consisted of half a bagel, cream cheese and trail mix with sunflower seeds! Surprisingly, these were a big hit!











Bible- Manna and Quail- Calvary chapel curriculum site


Geography- A state a day sheets from http://www.holdthatthought.com/


Science- Burgess Bird Book and The Flying Lesson (library book 3rd grade reader)


Read Aloud- Started My Side of the Mountain! All my kids have enjoyed this book. It is written by Jean Craighead George and is a trilogy about a young boy who runs away to the catskills mountains to live off the land and find his grandfather's old homeplace. Sam takes a baby peregrine falcon from its nest and raises it! This book is truly a living book! Chidlren learn much about wildlife, survival in the wild, animals and nature! They also learn that there truly is, no place like home! Mrs. George wrote many books that are wonderful reads, but this is our favorite!

This is severly OT, but I sat down to eat dinner with my family (there are 6 of us) and I suddenly had a profound appreciation for paper plates! I love not having to do dishes on busy nights! The way I look at it, I save money on hot water to run the dishwasher, I save my hands and I don't have to use dish washing detergent. We had French's Fried onion crusted chicken! The recipe's on the back of the canister! It was great with scalloped potatoes, jello salad (compliments of my daughter) and steamed broccoli!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 The Haphazzard Housewife. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by DeluxeTemplates.net | Blogger Styles | Balance Transfer Credit Cards
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase